The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis Review

Title: The Female of the Species
Author: Mindy McGinnis
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Horror/Mystery/Thriller
Series: N/A, standalone
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

What can I say about this book? Well, first of all, it's the first novel I've had the pleasure of reading by Mindy McGinnis. And let me tell you guys, what a doozy! Plus, really, what better book to read to get in the mood for Halloween? I've been nonstop excited about this book since hearing about it--I mean, a dark, messed-up antihero for a female main character, multiple first-person points of view, and searing prose that sounds like it's been written with a scalpel. Let me warn you guys, though: This book is dark. Dark as in, goes to the dark side and never returns. I freaking loved it, every searing, uncomfortable, emotionally charged moment of it.

The Female of the Species revolves around three people, mainly: Alex Craft, the young woman who lost her sister to a vicious killer, and who takes vengeance when she can in her small Ohio town, Jack, the young man who can't forget Alex, unable to let go of his guilt toward her and her deceased older sister, despite his best efforts, and Peekay, the preacher's kid, who forms a tentative relationship with Alex. The pacing of this novel was absolutely breakneck, and combined with the killer prose, I couldn't put it down, even though there were many times when I wanted to walk away from it. This book has got to be one of the best of the year--a searing, dark, and disturbing novel that brings rape culture to the forefront, through Alex's eyes.

This book is a dark, disturbing rabbit hole down into the brain of a killer, and the people who come to know and love her, despite her sins. There were times when I was disgusted, even nauseated. But this book has burrowed its way into my mind and heart, and I definitely won't be forgetting it any time soon. Despite the way it made me uncomfortable, I loved it, so much--it was such a riveting story! And that ending--absolutely killer. This is my first Mindy McGinnis novel and it certainly won't be my last! The bottom line: A searing, dark novel about how far we will go for revenge, The Female of the Species will be a story that I can't ever forget--absolutely amazing! One of my favorite books of 2016! Next on deck: Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Cordova!

Comments

Popular Posts