Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake Review

Title: Three Dark Crowns
Author: Kendare Blake
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy/Horror
Series: Three Dark Crowns, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

I'll start this review by being honest: I love Kendare Blake, and her books. Ever since her bloody horror debut, Anna, Dressed in Blood, I've been in love with her writing style. And when I found out that her newest book was a dark horror fantasy about three sisters who literally have to fight to the death to become queen, I just knew that I had to read it. So I put a hold on the book and waited until it came. I was nervous, at first, because there was mixed reviews on it. It seemed people either loved it or hated it, no in between.

I can see how some readers found the book boring, but I really enjoyed it. The concept was original, the worldbuilding was absolutely on point, and I loved the way that the plot was carried by the characters of the book. (Plus that political intrigue though! If there's one surefire way to win me over, it's to add politcal intrigue, and lots of it!)  For me, and this is going to sound biased, this book was nothing less than a home run, and I can't wait for more from this promising series debut!

Triplets Mirabella, Arsinoe, and Katharine have always known their lot in life: To wield the ultimate power, first they must eliminate each other. Mirabella can command the elements, summoning fire and lightning with a simple snap of her fingers. Arsinoe is a naturalist, able to coax animals into doing her bidding. Katharine is a poisoner, able to ingest deadly toxic substances with little more than a stomachache. As the holiday of Beltane approaches, each sister must decide what they are willing to do to seize their crown--even if it means resorting to tactics of a nefarious sort...

As I said, I really liked this book. It had everything: a unique and original concept, magic, political intrigue, vivid, exciting worldbuilding, sympathetic, well-thought out characters, and a killer ending--that ending though! I can't wait for the sequel! As much as I enjoyed it, though, I couldn't give it a full five stars, simply because a lot of the time the family drama got in the way of everything else. Nonetheless, Three Dark Crowns is one of my favorite books of the year! Next on deck: As I Descended by Robin Talley!

Comments

Popular Posts