The Demonologist by Andrew Pyper Review

Title: The Demonologist
Author: Andrew Pyper
Age Group: Adult
Genre: Literary Horror
Series: N/A
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: This is one of the best horror novels I've ever read--I couldn't tear myself away!

I won The Demonologist here on Goodreads. Spooky, thrilling, and at times utterly twisted, I really enjoyed it! (Psst! If you're easily scared, DON'T read this late at night!) The Demonologist chronicles the journey of David Ullman, a professor specializing in the murky lore of demons, particularly John Milton's Paradise Lost. In the midst of a failing marriage and crippling depression, he is approached by a strange woman with an intriguing offer: come to Venice to solve a 'case', and get paid a ridiculous amount of money. Once there, his twelve year old daughter, Tess, is taken by a mysterious demon called The Unnamed, and he is led onward to a perilous puzzle leading him all over America.

What I enjoyed:
-David and his wry way of speaking, sarcastic and intelligent
-Tess, his daughter who is so much like himself
-The scary parts, and the way everything wove together so beautifully
-O'Brien
-The Unnamed
-The mystery that reminded me immediately of The Da Vinci Code
-The way Paradise Lost was tied into everything
-The tragic surprise at the end

What I didn't enjoy:
-Diane
-Will Junger

If you guys love scary mystery novels, pick up The Demonologist by Andrew Pyper! Next up: Queen's Gambit by Elizabeth Fremantle!

Comments

Popular Posts