Vessel by Sarah Beth Durst Review

Title: Vessel
Author: Sarah Beth Durst
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: N/A
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: The first novel I've read from Sarah Beth Durst, Vessel captured my heart and swept me away: an interesting, new premise, a plucky, strong heroine, and a journey across sandy deserts into the unknown, it reminded me of a new, modern fairy tale, and a new favorite for me.

Liyana is special, honored, amongst those in her desert tribe: She has been chosen to be a vessel for the goddess Bayla. As such, Liyana has to dance to summon her goddess, and when she does so, she dies. She must die so her clan can live. But when she dances for her goddess, she doesn't come. Her tribe abandons her in the middle of the desert. She thinks she will die until Korbyn emerges from the sand, telling her that the souls of seven deities have been stolen, and he needs her help to restore them.

What I enjoyed:
-There was almost nothing I didn't love about this novel
-The intriguing new plot--I am addicted to Sarah Beth Durst after one book!
-The mythology, e.g, Korbyn's myth stories
-The desert culture
-Liyana
-Raan
-Fennik
-Jidali
-Pia
-Liyana's tribe
-The clan mentality

What I didn't like:
-Bayla. I hated her. Though she was a goddess, I just didn't like her and she made me angry

I loved, loved, loved Vessel, and would recommend it to anyone in search of an original, brand new fantasy adventure. Next on deck: The Brides of Rockroll Island, by Margo Lanagan!

Comments

Popular Posts