A Tyranny of Petticoats by Jessica Spotswood Review

Title: A Tyranny of Petticoats: 15 Stories of Belles, Bank Robbers, and Other Badass Girls
Editor: Jessica Spotswood
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Historical Fiction
Series: N/A, anthology
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

I've always loved short story collections, ever since I was a child, having fairy tales read to me at my grandmother's side. They served as glimpses into different worlds, and in some ways were easier to read than a full novel. Today, they still appeal to me. I love the themes, the new stories, the happy possibility of being introduced to a new author's work. I also wanted something like a palate cleanser, considering the last book I read was Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare.

A Tryanny of Petticoats was a collection of fifteen stories about young women, all throughout different periods of American history. I was especially intrigued by it because of the historical fiction angle--I've never read an anthology with such a theme, and that's one of my very favorite genres. As there are quite a few stories in this, I'm going to select a few of my favorites. Overall, I loved this anthology, and it opened my eyes. I also really loved the diversity of all the characters.

The Journey by Marie Lu: 5 out of 5 Stars. Set in The Great Land in 1723, this is the first historical fiction story I've read from Lu. Blending mythology and history, Lu paints an enchanting, magical tale set in the snowy, stark wilderness of a young woman forced out of her village, only to encounter her village's history, and the courage to stand on her own two feet. Absolutely wonderful!

El Destinos by Leslye Walton: 5 out of 5 Stars. This story takes place in Southwest Texas in 1848. I loved this story! It was a wise, heartbreaking tale that blinds Greek mythology with American history--specifically, after the Texan Annexation. I was absolutely enchanted, by both the desert and this creative retelling of the Three Fates. (If you haven't read it, her debut novel, The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender, I highly reccomend it!)

Pearls by Beth Revis: 5 out of 5 Stars. This is possibly one of, if not the, favorite of the volume anthology. Set in 1876, a young woman flees an arranged marriage, from Chicago to Wyoming, and forms a new friendship with the girl who becomes Annie Oakley, and finds the courage to fight her demons--literally. I loved the main character of this story!

The Color of the Sky by Elizabeth Wein: 5 out of 5 Stars. Wein is one of my favorite historical fiction authors, and her story takes place in 1926, focusing on the legendary pilot Bessie Coleman, the first American, black or white, to receive an international pilot's license. This story was heartbreaking, eye-opening, and uplifting--I loved every single moment of it, and I'm looking into more about Bessie Coleman as soon as possible.

City of Angels by Lindsay Smith: 5 out of 5 Stars. Set in Los Angeles, in 1945, a young riveter falls in love with a coworker, and discovers the sweetness and the pain that comes with first love. This story was so hearbreaking, sweet, and painful--it felt real. I loved this story so much, it's one of my favorites from the entire volume. I'll definitely be looking forward to more of Smith's work!

The bottom line: An exciting, diverse collection of stories of women who can kick butt and take names, A Tyranny of Petticoats is a must-read for people of all ages! Next on deck: Bone Gap by Laura Ruby!

Comments

Popular Posts