Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh Review

Title: Flame in the Mist
Author: Renee Ahdieh
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Flame in the Mist, book one
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

Renee Ahdieh's first novel, The Wrath and the Dawn, is sitting on my shelf, a self-bought Christmas present from two years ago. I love retellings, and I've heard so much buzz about her debut. When I heard that she was writing a new book called Flame in the Mist, coming out in May, I just knew I had to put it on hold at the library so I could read it. It's been sitting in my library stack for a while, and I knew I wanted to read it before I had to return it. It took a little while for me to get in to, but once I did, it stole my heart and became one of my favorite books of 2017! Think Mulan set in feudal Japan, complete with political intrigue, secrets, romance, magic, and mythology! I've been waiting for this book since I was tiny. Renee Ahdieh has won a place in my heart, and I'm so excited for more!

Hattori Mariko is a young woman that tends to break the mold. Despite being a high-ranking noblewoman in her own right, her worth to her family lies in her marriageability. Longing for more than what her family wishes, she is soon drawn into a dangerous web of political intrigue, magic, and romance. When she begins to dig deeper, infiltrating into a criminal organization called The Black Clan disguised as a boy, she discovers that she might have a place to belong, if all of her lies don't catch up to her...

I really, really enjoyed this book! It took me a while to get into it, but once I did, I couldn't put it down. I spent most of yesterday and last night, devouring Mariko's adventure. I was absolutely spellbound by the prose. The premise, too, was what won me over: Mulan in feudal Japan! My little tiny girl self has been waiting for a book like this my whole life! But even more than all this, I loved the magic, the political intrigue, the pacing, the constant twists, and turns. All of this combined with strong, complex characters, with a kick-butt, inventing, sharp-tongued heroine, and romance and action? I was completely and utterly sold. Reading this has made me even more excited for her first book, as well as the sequel to this promising series starter! What a lovely, magical book, full of adventure and excitement! The bottom line: A fantastically funny, heartfelt series starter, I loved Flame in the Mist, and I can't wait for the sequel! Next on deck: Miles Morales: Spiderman by Jason Reynolds!

Comments

Popular Posts