House of Furies by Madeleine Roux Review

Title: House of Furies
Author: Madeleine Roux
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Horror
Series: House of Furies, book one
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book through my local library and reviewed it.

Madeleine Roux became famous a few years ago with her debut series, Asylum, and when I heard that she was writing another book, due out in May, I just knew that I had to order it from my library. It's been sitting in my library stack for a while, and I had my last renew on it; the last thing I wanted was to take it back without reading it. I'm so, so happy that I held out, because not only did I enjoy it, but I'm very much looking forward to more from her! What an unusual, beautifully written debut, peppered with vintage photographs and drawings. House of Furies is one of the best books of the year, hands down, and I'm already dying for the sequel! What a creepy, twisted, disturbing start to a promising new gothic horror series!

Louisa Ditton is a thief, a drifter, an outcast. She's different, more prone to selling fortunes and stealing than to do honest work. But her life changes irrevocably when she is recruited by an old hag to work as a scullery maid at an old, dilapidated house called Coldthistle House. Louisa soon discovers that the house seems to have a mind of its own, and with mysterious, bloody disappearances, secrets about her employers, friends, and even herself. But as she digs deeper for answers, and even becomes a reluctant friend for a young guest, she realizes that death is lurking in her new home and that she may be closer to it than she could have ever realized...

This book was absolutely amazing! First of all, gothic, supernatural horror, mashed up with Jane Austen? Sign me up, sign me up right now! I've been waiting for this ever since I got into Jane Austen in college. Adaptions and inspirations of her work are many, but I've never seen the Regency period skewed quite like this. The format was another key element that won me over; it reminded me a lot of the Miss Peregrine's School for Peculiar Children series, and I mean that as a compliment! Between the vintage photos, gorgeous drawings, and the beautiful, dark prose that kept me captivated even when I wanted to put it down, I was totally sold. The pacing didn't hurt either; I was immediately immersed into Louisa's world, where power hides in the most unlikely places and darkness rules all. I loved the secrets that kept unraveling throughout the book. And that ending though! Ugh, someone kill me! Lee and Louisa were my favorites, but I really enjoyed the way the secondary characters played a part in the story. As scary and frightening as Coldthistle House was, I want to go back again, and I can't wait for the sequel! The bottom line: A beautifully written historical horror show that brings elements of Jane Austen into it, House of Furies is one of my favorite books of 2017, and I can't wait for what comes next! Next on deck: Everyone We've Been by Sarah Everett!

Comments

Popular Posts