Follow Me Back by A.V. Geiger Review

Title: Follow Me Back
Author: A.V. Geiger
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Series: Follow Me Back, book one
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book through my local library and reviewed it.

Follow Me Back was brought to my attention the way most of my library loans are; I found it as a recommendation for one of the book sites I follow religiously. I was absolutely intrigued from the get-go; the cover was compelling and creepy all at the same time. I was even more excited to read it when I realized that Geiger was a sleeper hit on the writing forum, Wattpad. I had my last renewal on it through the library, and as I'd been looking forward to it, I didn't want to return it without reading it. And I'm so, so glad that I didn't take it back without reading it! Geiger has penned a spine-tingling, creepy thriller of a series debut for the modern digital age! I was blown over, and I can't wait until next year for the sequel! Ugh, that ending! I'm so mad! (How could you do this to me?!)

Tessa Hart has severe agoraphobia, a result of a traumatic event that happened over the previous summer. One of her coping mechanisms is the pop star, Eric Thorn, and being part of the fandom she has made her internet persona comfortable in, mostly through Twitter and Tumblr. When Eric sets out to troll her for his own amusement, an unexpected friendship forms between them. The friendship leads to the possibility of more, but soon obsession begins to spring up from all sides, all because of the handy little follow button...

I really, really enjoyed this book, a lot more than I expected to! The cover was one of the first things that drew me to it, honestly; it looked so spooky and unnerving. But what shocked me the most was what lay between the covers. The format was deliciously different and unusual; it was told in a mix of third person narration between Tessa and Eric, with more than a healthy portion of tweets, blog posts, and police transcriptions.  I was immediately drawn in. I loved the way Geiger created a creepy, modern horror story for the digital age. But even more than that, I loved Tessa and Eric, their ill-fated, more than a little twisted love story. I also really liked the way that Tessa's mental illness was depicted, it was frank and refreshing. Plus, the pacing was breakneck and I couldn't put the book down. And that ending! I can't wait until June 2018 for the sequel! You're freaking killing me here! The bottom line: A creepy, spine-tingling thriller for the digital age, I loved Follow Me Back, and I can't wait for the sequel! One of my favorite books of 2017! Next on deck: House of Furies by Madeleine Roux!

Comments

Popular Posts