Boyfriend Material by Alexis Hall Review

 Title: Boyfriend Material 

Author: Alexis Hall 


Age Group: Adult 


Genre: Romance 


Series: Standalone 


Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars 


I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it. 


I asked my reading Discord server buddies to help me pick my next book, after Aurora Burning (which, just for the record, I’m still totally wrecked from! Jay and Amie, y’all are sadists! Lol.) And on that note, they all suggested Boyfriend Material by Alexis Hall. And it turns out that this book was the perfect book to cure all the FEELS that AB left me with. This book was hilarious, romantic, witty and sexy; it really gave me Red, White and Royal Blue vibes, and I loved it. I had to force myself to slow down to make it last longer! I loved it; it made me laugh, cry, scream, and swoon. This was such a perfect, lovely story, and I’m such a complete sucker for the classic fake dating trope! Easily one of my favorite books of 2021! I will definitely be on the lookout for Alexis Hall’s work! 


Luc O’Donnell is reluctantly famous, the child of two rich and famous rock star parents. Forever trying to avoid the limelight that both parents bring on him, skittish after being burned by a vindictive ex, he half-jokingly asks his friends to hook him up with one of their gay friends. He’s set up on a blind date with barrister Oliver, hunky, sardonic, and more than a little unusual. Desperately needing a date and a distraction, Luc and Oliver made a deal that they pretend to date, up to the duration of Oliver’s cousin’s wedding. But things become messy and complicated when Luc finds himself falling for Oliver. When he finds out that his father has cancer, Luc’s life takes a turn for the worse. Luc must decide what it is he wants from his life. Be boxed in by his parents’ reputations, or live freely, as he truly wishes to? 


I loved, loved, loved this book! I was a complete wreck after the thrilling sci-fi adventure that was Aurora Burning, and this was the perfect antidote to all the FEELS I was stuck with. I loved Luc’s voice, insecure, shy, and self-deprecating. His humor throughout the novel constantly had me cracking up! I was laughing, crying, screaming, swooning; I was nearly crying with laughter as the novel went on. This book was a quick one; I devoured it in less than two days. This book was so good; witty, snappy, beautifully paced, sexy and romantic. This book would be perfect for readers still missing Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston! I loved every character in this book, except Luc’s father. I was laughing, crying, screaming, and swooning throughout it. This book was funny, smart, witty, and sexy, and I loved every crazy, sweet moment of it! This is a love story that I will certainly never leave me! The bottom line: Unique, funny, tender and most of all, hopeful, I loved Boyfriend Material! Next on deck: Yolk by Mary H.K. Choi!

Comments

Popular Posts