The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune Review

 Title: The House in the Cerulean Sea 

Author: TJ Klune 


Age Group: Adult 


Genre: Fantasy 


Series: Standalone 


Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars 


I bought a copy of this book and reviewed it. 


             This book is one of the ones I bought for myself for Christmas, since my mother-in-law gave my husband and I money, and I really have to say, I’m sorry that I haven’t read any of TJ Klune’s other work. This book was so good! I wasn’t sure what to expect, but this book was so perfect, heartwarming, and pure! This was a delightful, hilarious and emotional fairy tale that I absolutely adored, and it might be one of my favorite books of 2021. It made me laugh, cry, scream; I’m so happy I actually bought this book for my home library, because I can promise that I will return to this book whenever I need a literary pick-me-up. This book was like a hot cup of tea and a warm hug, all at once. This book is a lovely, warm fairy tale about the strength to be yourself and to do what’s right, even when it’s difficult. I loved it so much! 


Linus Baker works for the DICOMY, or The Department in Charge of Magical Youth, as a caseworker. When he is unexpectedly summoned to Extremely Upper Management, he is given a top-secret assignment: journey to Maryas Island, where a motley group of six children live: Talia, a gnome, Phee, a sprite, Theodore, the wyvern, a strange green blob named Chauncey who longs for nothing more than to be a bellhop, Sal, a were Pomeranian, and Lucifer, Lucy for short, who is the Antichrist. But the children aren’t the island’s only secret. There is the children’s caretaker, Arthur Parnassus. As he and Linus grow closer, Linus realizes he must make an impossible choice: destroy the only home these kids know, or watch the world burn... 


I absolutely loved this book; it might be one of my favorites of 2021, even though it’s only early February! The prose was snappy, fast-paced, and more often than not, hilarious. It took me a few days to get through this novel, but it was more because I wanted to make it last as long as possible. I was laughing, crying, and squealing as the book went on; I fell in love with Linus, Arthur, and the children, as well as Zoe! I was laughing almost constantly; this book was a perfect antidote to the book hangover I got from Aurora Rising! I loved this quirky, tender fantasy, rooted in the human world. I loved Linus and his character development, but my favorite part of the novel were the kids, especially Lucy. (I never imagined that a book with the Antichrist as a character could be so funny! I definitely got Good Omens vibes from this adorable, sweet book.) I loved Linus and Arthur, and their character development. I also adored the way this book took the word different and transformed it into special. I laughed, I cried, I cheered. This book is definitely one of my more recent favorites, and I can’t wait to check out more of Klune’s work! The bottom line: Hilarious, heartfelt, and surprising, I loved The House in the Cerulean Sea! Next on deck: Black Sun by Rebecca Roanhorse!

Comments

Popular Posts