Swamp Thing: Twin Branches by Maggie Stiefvater and Morgan Beem Review

 Title: Swamp Thing: Twin Branches 

Author(s): Maggie Stiefvater and Morgan Beem 


Age Group: Teen/Young Adult 


Genre: Science Fiction/Horror 


Series: Standalone 


Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars 


I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it. 


I was lucky enough to be able to swing by my library this past weekend, and I tried to read White Ivy by Susie Yang. It was beautifully written, but for whatever reason, I just wasn’t feeling it. So, I decided to go back to it another time and move on. I’ve been on an Injustice 2 kick, so it just seemed like the natural choice to gravitate toward DC’s latest offering of graphic novels. I have one for Beast Boy as well, but my husband and book group voted for Swamp Thing. I devoured this beautiful, thoughtful and gorgeously rendered take on one of my favorite DC characters in a matter of hours. With words by Maggie Stiefvater and beautiful drawings by Morgan Beem, Twin Branches might be one of my favorite books of 2021! Absolutely stunning! 


Alec and Walker Holland are twins, and they’re complete opposites. Walker is social and friendly, as warm as the sun itself. Alec, meanwhile, is quiet and shy, preferring to spend time researching his plants rather than other people. When the twins go to live with their cousins over their last summer before college, they discover that the swamp holds darker and deeper secrets than they could have ever imagined. Alec retreats into a summer-school lab, experimenting on the plant he brought from home, not knowing that it will soon consume him. This season, the brothers Holland will confront truths both ancient and familial and as their lives split, tensions run high and long dormant memories rise to the surface... 


I really enjoyed this graphic novel! Though Marvel holds my heart for the most part now, there are certain characters in the DC Comics universe that I adore, and Swamp Thing is one of them! I loved this new, fresh take on Alec Holland. I finished this beautifully illustrated volume in just a few hours. It turned out to be the perfect antidote to the malaise I was feeling when I was reading White Ivy! I loved the illustrations, and though the words were spare, it was still a beautiful, heartfelt story. My heart ached for both Holland boys, but especially Alec, shy and as introverted as he was. The pacing was breakneck, and I was immediately enthralled by the secrets that the rural swamp hid within it. This book might be one of my favorites of 2021, and it’s only February! Thought-provoking, tender, funny and surprising, I loved Swamp Thing: Twin Branches! The bottom line: A fresh, new take for a new audience of one of my favorite DC heroes, I loved Swamp Thing: Twin Branches! Next on deck: The Best American Food Writing of 2020!

Comments

Popular Posts