All the Stars and Teeth by Adalyn Grace Review

 Title: All the Stars and Teeth 

Author: Adalyn Grace 


Age Group: Teen/Young Adult 


Genre: Fantasy 


Series: All the Stars and Teeth, book one 


Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars 


I received this book as a Christmas gift from a friend in a Facebook group I’m in—thank you so much, Jessica! 


I want to start off this review by apologizing for being gone for so long; I’ve been going through a lot of stuff mental health wise, and have lost friends and family members, due to Covid 19 and other things, so I decided to take a step back. But I’m here now! My first review of 2022! I’ve also decided to stop using the library as much so I can chip away at all the books I have at home. I’ve wanted to read this book since it came out, and honestly, I wasn’t disappointed with this gorgeous, fierce debut! It might be one of my favorite books ever. I love adventure books, and this was unique, exciting, and engaging. The ending felt a little bit rushed, but otherwise, I loved it! 


Princess of the island of Visidia, Amora Montara has been groomed to be the next High Animancer, to use soul magic to rule her people and do what she was born for. When the ceremony to be crowned goes wrong on her birthday, she is forced to flee her home and everything she knows with a pirate, her stowaway fiancé, and a mermaid with songs powerful enough to control the ocean. But the ocean she loves so dearly contains a multitude of dangers: terrors of the deep, hidden curses, and enemies who long to see Visidia fall. And that’s nothing compared to the dangers of her own soul and her family’s past. Forced to make a bargain she cannot refuse, Amora will have to use every ounce of her considerable smarts and grits to make it across the sea unscathed. Will Amora return home and see everything righted? Or will she die at an enemy’s hands before she can save her kingdom? 


This book was everything I wanted and didn’t know I needed. I’ve been obsessed with pirates and mermaids ever since I was a child, so when this book came in the mail, I was so excited! The writing was lush and lyrical, and I was immediately seduced by Amora’s rich, fierce voice. The pacing was breakneck; the narrative grabbed me by the throat and didn’t let go, even after the final page. I adored the worldbuilding, though at times it was a little hard to follow; I had to go back and refer to the map several times. I wish there had been a dramatis personae so I could keep all the characters straight. But overall, I very much enjoyed this book. Ferrick, Bastian, and Vataea were fully realized, each a strong character in their own right. The ending felt a tiny bit rushed, but this might be one of my favorite books ever. The journey across the ocean was so breathtaking and thrilling that I could almost taste the salty brine of the sea on my lips, feeling the Keel Haul sway beneath my feet. I’m so glad I started off my year with this book, because it was absolutely fantastic, aside from a few little complaints. Next on deck: The Drowning Kind by Jennifer McMahon and Arsenic and Abodo by Mia P. Manansala! 

Comments

Popular Posts