The God Game by Danny Tobey Review

 Title: The God Game 


Author: Danny Tobey 


Age Group: Teen/Young Adult 


Genre: Thriller 


Series: Standalone 


Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars 


I read an advanced reader’s copy of this book through the Goodreads First Reads program, which was sent to me by St. Martin’s Press—thank you so much! 


I was sent an advanced reader’s copy of this book, and my husband picked it out for me. I just finished it last night, and honestly, I’m still really stunned. This is Danny Tobey’s first novel, but man, what a scorcher of a debut! The premise was somewhat overused, the trope a little tired, but he breathed a lot of fresh life into it. The pacing was breakneck, and one of my favorite things was the short chapters; it made the book fly. I was immediately intrigued and spellbound by The God Game, a chilling, thoughtful thriller that made me wonder: If you could make all your dreams come true by touching a button, would you do it? Even if it meant someone else got hurt, maybe even killed? The God Game explores concepts like a higher power, free will, and what people are willing to do for their dreams, even if it means taking a few shortcuts... 


Charlie, Peter, Alex, Kenny, and Vanhi are a ragtag group of high school kids, also known as The Vindicators. When they discover a brand-new augmented reality computer game called The God Game, they all leap at the chance to play, not heeding the real-life consequences. Welcome to the God Game: If you win, all of your dreams come true, and if you lose, you die! But as they continue to play the game, the stakes begin to rise: instead of childish pranks and getting even with the school bullies, the real-world consequences of the Game grow ever steeper. Add to that a wicked AI that is determined to drive a wedge between the friends, and you’ve got a recipe for disaster. Our young friends must figure out how to outwit The God Game, or it could very well be the end of them... 


I really, really liked this book! The pacing was breakneck, the chapters were snappy and the prose spare but nonetheless powerful. I was immediately spellbound by this story. The trope that was used to further the book was a bit tired and overdone, but the unique characters really made it. I adored all of the characters, even the adults, because they were all so flawed and human. I loved the way the book switched from the different kids’ points of view to the AI, and the adults. This book was very much thought-provoking: Is there a higher power? Do we risk losing our grip on reality totally, the more we invest in the digital world? What are we willing to sacrifice for the things we desire, big and small? Despite being over 400 pages, this book flew by, and had me by the throat until long after the last page. And that ending! I was so shocked and surprised when I read it that I actually gasped! (For those of you that have never read it, I won’t give it away!) Dark, more than a little terrifying, and surprisingly thoughtful, The God Game was a thriller unlike any other! The bottom line: This debut novel was unlike any other that I’ve read; dark, thoughtful, and more human than I could’ve ever imagined, I loved The God Game! Next on deck: Hollywood Park by Mikel Jollett, The Hunting Party by Lisa Foley, and Half Sick of Shadows by Laura Sebastian!

Comments

Popular Posts