The Drowning Kind by Jennifer McMahon Review

 Title: The Drowning Kind 

Author: Jennifer McMahon 


Age Group: Adult 


Genre: Thriller/Horror 


Series: Standalone 


Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars 


I was sent a copy of this book by the publisher, Scout Press—thank you so much! 


I’ll start off this review by being honest: This is the first book I’ve ever read by Jennifer McMahon, and it most certainly won’t be my last. A haunting, chilling ghost story, The Drowning Kind tells the story of two sisters: Jax and Lexie, who have been distant over the last couple of years. Jax started to push Lex away when her manic tendencies got out of control. When Lexie unexpectedly drowns in the pool at their grandmother’s residence of Sparrow Crest, Jax finds her life upended once again. When she arrives at the estate, she soon begins to realize that her sister was researching their family’s history and the history of the pool, and that the water holds more secrets than she could’ve ever imagined... 


This book was haunting, dark, and more than a little frightening; the prose was sparse but full of emotion and tension. The pacing was breakneck, and this book grabbed me by the throat and didn’t let me go until the very end. I love horror books; it’s one of my favorite genres because there are so many different ways to explore it. This book took the genre and turned it on its head. I was absolutely mesmerized by Jax and the story of her wayward sister, Lex. I really identified with both sisters at different times throughout the book, and the way they struggled to come back to each other really struck a chord with me. At times it was a little hard to follow because the book bounced between past and present and the characters were so numerous, but overall, this was a really great book! But my favorite part would have to be the ending! I did not see it coming; I literally gasped when I finished the book. I loved every tense moment; I could almost feel the chill in the room while I was reading. McMahon is an author of the highest caliber, and I cannot wait to get into the rest of her body of work someday! Next on deck: Arsenic and Adobo by Mia P. Manansala!

Comments

Popular Posts