A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas Review

Title: A Court of Thorns and Roses
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy/Romance
Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses, book one
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

Sarah J. Maas, how could you do this to me?! I haven't even finished the Throne of Glass series, and I finally get my hands on this book, and.. How could you do this to me?! Do you enjoy stomping on your readers' hearts and then simultaneously gutting them? The feels of this book! How am I supposed to read my next book after this? How am I supposed to wait until May for the second book?

What have you done?

Me, after reading this book:




I literally just sat with this book, hugging it, a complete mess. In fact, as I'm struggling to clean up the various viscera that used to be my heart, I told my husband that I need my own copy of this book, come Christmas. I'll admit that I was really nervous, as some of my reviewer friends had said that they were disappointed.

I'm happy to say that I wasn't. I was really, really nervous. Beauty and the Beast is one of my very favorite fairy tales, if not the favorite. But Sarah J. Maas captivated me with Throne of Glass, so I'm so glad I picked this up when I did. I loved her writing before, but this probably takes the spot of my favorite Sarah J. Maas novel.

I'm struggling to gather my thoughts into anything close to coherent. This book has crept into my heart and soul, and I'm pretty sure that I'll be ordering the second book come May. (Arrgh, how in the world am I supposed to wait that long?!) This book was just fantastic. Honestly. Every single heartbreaking, terrifying, beautiful bit of it.

I loved everything about this novel. (I know, I know. Get it together, there had to be something bad about this!) Everything. The world-building was excellent, well-thought out, easy to understand, and believable. I loved the way Maas took a fairy tale I thought I knew and gave it a dark spin that reminded me of the old Grimm tales

 But what really made me fall in love with A Court of Thorns and Roses weren't even its characters, though those certainly helped: icy, cold Feyre, mysterious, seductive Tamlin, the terrifying and yet coldly beautifully Rhysand, it was the love story that really made me treasure this story. I may not seem it, but I'm quite the hopeless romantic, and stories like this make me believe that love can be found for all--even in the darkest, most unlikely places.

The prose, too, was beautiful, and at times I felt like shriveling up in jealousy at how Maas seems to seduce with her words. (Bonus points for Feyre and her artistic mind--so pretty!) I loved the journey; Feyre and Tamlin will always and forever be one of my very favorite literary couples. 5 stars. 5 stars, completely won and well-earned. I will be looking forward to more in this series. (Psst--I can't wait to finish the Throne of Glass series! Eeeeeee!) The bottom line: A love story wrapped in an old story I thought I knew, A Court of Thorns and Roses is a sweeping fairy tale of epic proportions, as well as a story I will hold in my heart forever! Next on deck: The Cage by Megan Shepherd!

Comments

Popular Posts