Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins Review

Title: Anna and the French Kiss
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Romance
Series: Anna and the French Kiss, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars


I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.







I'll be honest, you guys: I'm so confused right now. I thought I had mixed feelings about a book before, but that's nothing compared to how I feel at this moment. I've just finished Anna and the French Kiss, and, with rave reviews on Goodreads as well as Tumblr, I was nervous.

I was expecting a romance. And darn it if I didn't get one, because I did. But said romance was so confusing. This whole relationship was incredibly confusing. On one hand, I loved both characters involved, and was rooting for them, but I didn't like the whole cheating business. Now, even as it was resolved at the end of the novel, I am so confused. If there were other people in the equation, said cheating never should've happened..

Okay, I'm sorry. Getting ahead of myself here, so I'll just start from the beginning. As I said in the paragraph above, I've heard both good and bad things from all quarters about this book, so when I was able to pick out a new library book, I just said to heck with it and went for it.

First of all: Love the setting. I mean, a romance novel set in bright, beautiful Paris, the City of Light? Bonus points for Perkins for describing the city so beautifully--I really felt like I was really there. It was so wonderful, and it only deepened my desire to travel to said city and experience it for myself.

I'll move on to the characters: Anna, who at turns drove me crazy and made me laugh out loud. Anna, funny and sweet and utterly herself. I loved her, for the most part, but at times it felt like she was thinking with her hormones rather than her brain, and her reaction to things had me nearly tearing my hair out. (Communication, people! Learn it!) St. Clair, Anna's best friend in this huge city, funny and infuriating, and naturally, adorable. (And of course he's British!) And then there are Josh, the artist, Rashmi, the caustic overachiever, sweet Mer, who loves hot chocolate and sports.

I loved all the characters, but as I said before, the cheating and constant misunderstandings had me really confused. I loved most of this book--I mean, the setting, the characters, the first love--but some aspects of the romance really threw me off, and even now, I still don't quite know how I feel.. Regardless, I'm glad I read it finally! The bottom line: A novel of Paris, falling in love, friendship, and self-discovery, despite the confusing messages, Anna and the French Kiss is a sweet, romantic read--wonderful! Next on deck: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas!

Comments

Popular Posts