Fear the Drowning Deep by Sarah Glenn Marsh Review

Title: Fear the Drowning Deep
Author: Sarah Glenn Marsh
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy/Historical Fiction/Horror
Series: N/A, standalone
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book through my local library and reviewed it.

I heard about this novel through an article on the internet--If I'm not reading books, or writing them, I'm reading about them. (I know, so surprising! Lol) And it sounded so intriguing, I just had to order it through my library. Since then, it's been sitting in my library stack, waiting patiently to be read. I was considering taking it back to open up a space in my stack, and I'm so happy to tell you all that I'm so glad that I didn't return it before I read it!

This book is a strange, compelling, seductive mix of horror, obscure Irish legend, and historical fiction, along with a more than healthy dose of romance, just to spice it up a bit. I wasn't sure what to expect, as this was Marsh's debut novel. But this book was nothing less than a home run, for me. It was just so good--it seems that 2016 was a very promising year for books, and I'm so happy about it!

Set on the beautiful, secluded Isle of Man in 1913, Fear the Drowning Deep opens with seventeen year old Bridey, who has been terrified of the ocean ever since her grandfather's mysterious death when she was nine, the washed up body of a young woman on the shore, and a mysterious, brooding boy who Bridey takes home and saves. Desperate to solve the mystery, certain that the events are connected, Bridey must face her fear of the ocean, or risk everything she knows and loves disappearing into its dark depths...

Like I said, this book was just fantastic. It was such a genre-bender, and it was so unique! I loved every moment of it. Marsh is something of a storyteller to me; this story was wholly original, dark, and exciting, and it completely stole my heart! The pacing was breakneck, and I loved the way Marsh mixed the vibes of the story as it went along: There was so much tension as the book went on, mixed with the swoon-worthy romance of Bridey and her beloved Fynn, who is hiding more than his fair share of secrets. But it was Bridey herself who really sold this book for me; I felt like I really had a friend in her, and I loved her character development--it was amazing! I can't wait for more from this promising debut author! The bottom line: A totally unique and original novel, Fear the Drowning Deep is one of my favorite books of 2016--I can't wait for more from Sarah Glenn Marsh! Next on deck: The Star Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi!

Comments

Popular Posts