Heartless by Marissa Meyer Review

Title: Heartless
Author: Marissa Meyer
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: N/A, standalone
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book through my local library and reviewed it.

I'll begin this review on a somewhat sour note: Marissa Meyer and I have not gotten along. I read her first novel, Cinder, a few years back, and I liked it, but I wasn't head over heels for it. But when I heard about Heartless, way before it even had a cover or a title, I just knew I had to read it. I love retellings. In fact, retellings of fairy tales or classics are some of my favorite subgenres. I waited, and waited, and waited, and it's been sitting in my library stack. I finally got a chance to read it yesterday, and I'm so glad that I did! This book wasn't quite a retelling, but it did do justice toward the original, and that ending--I hope to the book gods that there is a sequel! I loved it so much!

Cath, heiress to Turtle Rock Cove and the daughter of a noble marquess, wants a simple life: A husband who adores her, a family, and her very own bakery, where she can concoct recipes for her sweets to her heart's content. But her parents, fate, and even Hearts itself has other plans for the young woman. Forced to choose between her own desires and familial duty, Cath discovers that love just may cost her everything, even her heart...

What can I say? I really, really enjoyed this book. Adored it, actually. It was just so good! The pacing was breakneck, the writing beautiful, and I loved the way Meyer skewed Lewis Carroll's Wonderland, just enough to do justice to the original but keep the integrity of the new tale. But what I really loved about this book were its characters, especially Cath. I loved all of the characters, but she was my favorite. Heartless is definitely one of my favorite books of 2016, and I'm hoping and praying that there's more to come! Meyer's novel has carved a permanent place in my heart, and I'll never forget Heartless, or Cath, the woman who grows to become the infamous, bad-tempered Queen of Hearts! Next on deck: Fear the Drowning Deep by Sarah Glenn Marsh!

Comments

Popular Posts