The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Choksi Review

Title: The Star-Touched Queen
Author: Roshani Chokshi
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: The Star-Touched Queen, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book through my local library and reviewed it.

Okay, so I'll be honest: I've been looking forward to this book since I knew of its existence, way back in April of last year. Because of all the books I've had to read, I haven't gotten to it until now, and frankly, I'm really kicking myself over it. I mean, it's literally almost everything I wanted in a novel, especially a debut, and I'm so happy with it! I can't wait for the sequel! There were a few little things that made it not completely perfect, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless. What a great book!

Maya is cursed, born under a set of stars that foretell death and destruction, literally. Because of that, everyone in the kingdom that her father rules fears her. Whispers about her. Avoids her entirely. Consumed by loneliness because of something she cannot even control, she longs for something more to her life: friends, a family that truly loves her. But all of that changes when the political tides churn with war, and Maya soon finds her life changed forever. Forced to go on an epic quest to save everything she's come to know, she discovers that the answers she craves lies in the place she least expects: inside herself...

Like I said, this book was just wonderful. I mean, what first sold me was the main character, and how diverse she is. (The world needs diverse books, and I'm so happy that we're making more headway now! Fingers crossed for more next year!) But more than that, the story was just so good! Excellent worldbuilding, breakneck pacing, magic, mayhem, gods and goddesses! I loved The Star-Touched Queen so much, and I can't wait for the sequel later this year! But there were a few little things that bothered me; I wish more about Amar had been explained, and Gupta as well. It also bugged me a little, how Maya and Amar's relationship was basically instant. But regardless, this book is definitely a favorite! The bottom line: A brand-new, magical adventure through dangerous, seductive worlds of Indian mythology, The Star-Touched Queen was a fun debut--I can't wait for the sequel! Next on deck: Avenged by E.E. Cooper!

Comments

Popular Posts