Lie to Me by J.T. Ellison Review

 Title: Lie to Me

Author: J.T. Ellison

Age Group: Adult

Genre: Mystery/Thriller

Series: Standalone

Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

This is the first book I’ve ever read by Ellison, and I can promise you, it won’t be my last. The mystery/thriller genre is one that tends to make me leery; I can usually guess the ending, so I usually end up being really picky with this genre. This book was well over four hundred pages, and kept me guessing the entire time; I had no idea who the villain was in this book! Twisty, more than a little messed up, shocking, and dark, I absolutely adored Lie to Me, and I cannot wait to read more of Ellison’s work! An absolutely stunning mystery of the highest caliber, Lie to Me had me breathless the entire time I was reading it! And that ending; talk about a knockout!


What happens when you build your entire life on a pack of lies? Ethan and Sutton Montclair appear to have a picture-perfect life in Franklin, Tennessee. They are both wildly successful authors, have a perfect relationship, and a beautiful home. But cracks begin to appear in the veneer when Sutton disappears, leaving a note and telling Ethan not to come looking for her. Ethan, fearing the worst, begins to wonder why Sutton would just leave in the middle of the night. When a burned body shows up in a field, Ethan begins to be circled by the police and the press. Did Ethan and Sutton’s marriage fall apart behind the scenes, and he finally snapped and killed her? Did Sutton run away in fear of her life, or to escape the secrets she’d been hiding? It turns out that there is a sinister plot being spun, closer to Ethan than he could’ve ever imagined…


I really, really loved this book! Despite its length, I finished it in a little under a week. The pacing was breakneck, and I found myself holding my breath more than once as I read. I was captivated by Ethan and Sutton’s story of a tumultuous, loving marriage turned toxic by lies, secrets, and infidelities. I was constantly left guessing; despite myself, I just couldn’t figure out who was the bad guy in this story of domestic hell! I loved all of the characters, but especially Ethan and Sutton; I was utterly spellbound by them, even as I watched them fall to the deepest depths of darkness. I was getting whiplash from all the twists and turns of the book; and that ending! Talk about a double whammy; I wasn’t expecting it at all! I won’t say more; I don’t want to spoil it for people who haven’t yet read it. But this book may be one of my favorites in the entire mystery genre! Absolutely perfect for fans of Gone Girl! The bottom line: A deeply layered, twisty mystery that had me gasping for breath, I loved Lie to Me! Next on deck: Neon Gods by Katee Roberts!

Comments

Popular Posts