Sisters of Glass by Stephanie Hemphill Review

 Title: Sisters of Glass

Author: Stephanie Hemphill

Age Group: Teen/Young Adult

Genre: Historical Fiction

Series: Standalone

Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

Maria is the venerated, noble daughter of a deceased glassblower on the tiny island of Murano, Italy. Her father’s last wish was for her to be married and well-off, so her mother begins to show her to older bachelors in an attempt to fulfill this wish. Her sister, Giovanna, is the beautiful one, the one with the gorgeous singing voice and numerous other talents. The sisters are close, but soon romance gets in the way of their bond. All Maria wants to do is blow glass, just like her father, and Vanna wants to be married. Is it possible for Maria to have everything she wants? Or will she have to sacrifice her soul in order to achieve her big dreams?

This novel, told in sparse, sparing verse, was so vivid and descriptive; I really enjoyed it. I finished this tiny little novella in a little under two days. Maria’s voice was so relatable and fresh. The verse jarred me a little bit, mostly because I wasn’t expecting it, but it was very enjoyable. I loved how Maria’s dreams of blowing glass, just like her father, clashed with his wish that she be married. I loved watching Maria and Vanna’s relationship progress, even as it frayed at the edges due to secrets, lies, and dark grudges. The pacing was breakneck, and I loved the ending! I wasn’t expecting it, and it made me so very happy! This lovely, feminist take on the glassblowers of Murano, Italy was absolutely fantastic. This isn’t my first Hemphill novel, and it certainly won’t be my last! Absolutely wonderful! The bottom line: Lush with detail and emotion, I loved Sisters of Glass!

Comments

Popular Posts