Relish by Lucy Knisley Review

 Title: Relish: My Life in the Kitchen

Author: Lucy Knisley

Age Group: Adult

Genre: Graphic Novel/Memoir

Series: N/A

Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars


I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

I’ve always been obsessed with food; it is easily one of the cornerstones on which my life stands. So I decided to order books that revolved around that topic.Relish is a delightfully frank and beautifully illustrated graphic novel that spans from Kinsley’s childhood, an adventure in food, all the way up to adulthood, where she has become a chef working in some of New York’s best restaurants. I devoured this book in the span of a few hours; it was just so honest and delightful. (And I’m not going to lie; pictures of the food made me very, very hungry!) It might be one of my favorite books I’ve read in 2022; it was just such a fun culinary adventure!

Lucy Kinsley has always been an adventurous eater and gourmand; thanks to her parents. In fact, at age 3, she remembers happily eating salmon-en-croute. Her mother is a chef in some of New York City’s best restaurants, and her father is a self-professed gastronomic expert and wine enthusiast, so it only makes sense that food would be such a huge part of her life. I was laughing with delight at the stories she told throughout the book; like the time she and a friend snuck away from the hotel in Mexico to feast on some local favorites, or her work as a cheesemonger at New York’s infamous Dean and Deluca. This book was informative, and I really adored the format, it really made the pages fly. I admit I was very sad when it ended; it was so much fun! I loved the art and the funky colors, as well as Kinsley’s funny, expressive voice. My only complaint is that I wish that there was more! The bottom line: Rich with detail, color, and hilarious stories, I loved Relish! Next on deck: The Witch Haven by Sasha Peyton Smith!

Comments

Popular Posts