The Witch Haven by Sasha Peyton Smith Review

 Title: The Witch Haven


Author: Sasha Peyton Smith


Age Group: Teen/Young Adult


Genre: Historical Fiction/Fantasy


Series: N/A


Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

I was browsing at my local library after finishing a particularly difficult book, and this book, sitting on the shelf, caught my eye. Sometimes I do, in fact, judge a book by its cover. The Last Magician meets Harry Potter in this gorgeous, atmospheric debut where magic is real, nobody knows who to trust, and mysterious murders are happening. Frances Hallowell is a young woman working as a seamstress in New York City. When a fatal accident happens at the factory, she is swept away to Haxahaven Academy, which is a tuberculosis sanitarium to the rest of the outside world. Once there, Frances discovers that she can do magic. But dark forces are conspiring against her and her friends, and when a young man comes calling, wanting Frances by his side, she must decide between the love of her friends and her newfound love for Finn. What will win out? Love, friendship, money, or power?

I very much enjoyed this book! I loved how it was kind of like Harry Potter and The Luxe with magical elements. The pacing was breakneck; I was utterly captivated with Frances’s voice, and the mystery that hung over New York City like a dark shadow. I also adored the atmosphere of 1911 New York, full of danger and wonder in equal measure. One of my favorite parts of this novel was the friendship between the girls, especially Maxine, Lena, and Frances. I loved the magical aspect, though I wish it had been explored more for Frances in particular. This novel had so many twists and turns, it was giving me whiplash! And that ending! It was absolutely stunning, I really, really hope that there is a sequel in the works! This book might be one of my favorites of the entire year of 2022! The bottom line: Lush with magic and danger and mystery, I loved The Witch Haven! Next on deck: Sisters of Glass by Stephanie Hemphill!

Comments

Popular Posts