Hocus Pocus by A.W. Jantha and Gris Grimly Review

 Title: Hocus Pocus: The Illustrated Novelization

Author, Illustrator: A.W. Jantha, Gris Grimly


Age Group: Teen/Young Adult


Genre: Fantasy/Horror


Series: Standalone


Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars


I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.


Hocus Pocus is a classic with a cult following, so when I found out there was an illustrated novel coming out, I reserved it at my library immediately. Using the script from the film and stunning, full-color illustrations from the immensely talented Gris Grimly, I loved this book! Easily one of my very favorite spooky Halloween reads of the year! Max Dennison has moved from LA to Salem, and he just doesn’t believe in the parts of Salem’s history that revolves around witches. But on Halloween night, when he lights The Black Flame Candle, he summons the evil Sanderson sisters back from the dead. The resurrected witches will stop at nothing to consume the lives of children to make themselves young. With the help of the cat named Thackery Binx, Max, Allison, and his little sister, Dani, must find a way to stop the Sanderson sisters, or all of Salem will be consumed by their greed…


I really loved this novelization; to be quite honest, I liked this version better! I loved the colorful, stark illustrations added by Grimly, and the chapters were kind of long. I liked the previous novelization I read, but this one is definitely my favorite. The pacing was snappy, and I loved the dialogue; this was the perfect book to read in preparation for Halloween! Binx, as always, was my favorite character in the entire book. Even though I’ve seen the movie dozens of times, I still teared up a little at the end. I really loved this illustrated take on a classic; it was the perfect shot of nostalgia to prepare for Halloween! A hilarious, dark, and exciting romp through an enchanted Salem Halloween! The bottom line: Funny, beautifully illustrated, and full of soul, I loved Hocus Pocus: The Illustrated Novelization! Next on deck: My Dearest Darkest by Kayla Cottingham!

Comments

Popular Posts