The Court of Miracles by Kester Grant Review

 Title: The Court of Miracles

Author: Kester Grant


Age Group: Teen/Young Adult


Genre: Fantasy/Historical Fiction


Series: The Court of Miracles, book one


Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars


I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.


I’ve tried to read this book several times since it came out, and previously, I always had to take it back to the library before I was actually successful. But this time, I finally finished it! The Court of Miracles takes place in France, 1823. In this alternate France, The French Revolution never actually happened. The six revolutionaries were fed to the guillotine, the fire of the people’s rage snuffed out before it could catch. In the aftermath of all this is Nina Thienarder, whose big sister, Azelma, was sold to The Tiger, Lord Kaplan, Lord of The Guild of Flesh. Desperate for her sister back and even willing to risk her young ward, Nina soon finds herself drawn into a web of intrigue, forbidden romance, and revenge. But The Court of Miracles forbids anyone from hunting within the Courts of the Wretched, and Nina must decide if she’s willing to risk all that she is and will be for a chance at retribution…


I really, really loved this book, and I’m quite sorry that I only finished it two months ago. This story was a unique take on The Jungle Book and Les Miserables! I was immediately captivated by Nina’s voice, and I was so invested in her journey! I also adored the love triangle that presented itself; I really hope that that aspect is going to be explored in the sequel. The pacing was breakneck; I finished this book in less than a week. I loved the characters, especially Cosette, Le Maire, Inspector Javert, and of course, Nina herself. I loved the way that this book introduced an alternate France, one that had yet to feel the flames of the Revolution. I loved the way Grant took The Jungle Book and Les Miserables and melded them together to form something completely new and different. And that ending! I cannot wait to get my hands on the sequel next year! Such a great debut from an author to watch! The bottom line: Brutal, rich, and detailed, I loved The Court of Miracles! Next on deck: Midnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer!

Comments

Popular Posts