Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky by Kwame Mbalia Review

 Title: Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky

Author: Kwame Mbalia


Age Group: Teen/Young Adult


Genre: Fantasy


Series: Tristan Strong, book one


Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars


I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.


One of my very favorite authors, Rick Riordian, came out with his own publishing imprint, Rick Riordan Presents, and this is one of the books that he published that I was most looking forward to. So many different panthenons get the spotlight, but very rarely does African-American folklore get that treatment. Tristan Strong may have punched a hole in the sky, but he also punched a huge hole in my expectations! I absolutely adored this novel! I didn’t know much about African-American legends, but that quickly changed after reading this book! Plus, honestly, it was just cool to see a black boy on the page! Diverse reads for the win, always! I absolutely adored this killer series opener; Tristan Strong is a protagonist I won’t soon forget!


Tristan Strong is a young man who is always sure of his position in life; his dad and granddad are both famous boxers. But he is left bereft after he loses his first fight. To top it all off, his best friend, Eddie, was killed, and the guilt weighs heavy on his shoulders. Tasked with going to his grandparents’ farm in Alabama, away from his hometown of Chicago, he finds his best friend’s journal abducted by a little sticky lady. When he accidentally punches a hole in his grandmother’s beloved bottle tree, he unleashes an evil haint that is intent on destroying everything. Faced with a dangerous quest, complete with gods and heroes, Tristan must fix the hole he’s punched in the sky, or risk losing everything…


I absolutely loved this book! Tristan’s voice was fresh and funny, and the pacing was breakneck; this book held me by the throat and didn’t let go until long after the last page. I loved this deep-dive into African folklore; I knew very little of those legends before this book. I also loved all the other characters, especially Brer Rabbit, Ayanna, Chestnutt, and of course, Gum Baby! I loved the assortment of gods and heroes that graced these pages, especially John Henry! Uncle C was a terrifying villain, menacing and full of old-school charm. By the end, I was crying for Tristan and cheering for him! I absolutely cannot wait for Tristan Strong Destroys the World! Easily one of the best books I’ve read this year, if not ever! The bottom line: Brimming with humor, danger, and wit, I loved Tristan Punches a Hole in the Sky! Next on deck: Hocus Pocus by A.W. Jantha and Gris Grimly!

Comments

Popular Posts