Anatomy: A Love Story by Dana Schwartz Review

 Title: Anatomy: A Love Story

Author: Dana Schwartz


Age Group: Teen/Young Adult


Genre: Historical Fiction/Mystery/Romance


Series: Anatomy Duology, book one


Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars


I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.


TW: Gore, body horror, murder, death, misogyny, amputation. If any of these topics trigger you, I would not recommend reading this book. Your mental health always matters!


Anatomy: A Love Story has long been on my to-read list; I’ve had to return it several times. So, when I was browsing one of my libraries and saw it, I snatched it up. As soon as I was finished with This Wicked Fate, I started this gruesome, heartfelt romance. This book is unlike any I’ve ever read; it took me a while to sort my thoughts enough to put them to paper. This is the first book I’ve read by Schwartz, and I doubt it will be my last! This strange story, full of heart, forbidden love, and desire, captured my heart. But I’ll be honest; there were times when the story faltered, and the pacing stuttered. And the ending, now that I think about it, was a little obvious, even if I didn’t figure it out right away. Regardless of these little quibbles, I enjoyed this book! It was so different. I don’t regret reading it!


Hazel Sinnett, in 1800s Scotland, has always wanted to be a surgeon. But her mother, and society, want her to be a proper lady and marry. She is betrothed to her cousin, Bernard Almont, and her mother lavishes all of her attention on her little brother, Percy. After the death of her older brother, George, Hazel is that much more determined to live out her dream, proprietary be damned. Her life changes forever when she meets Jack Currer, a resurrection man, or a graverobber. They strike up a strange friendship that deepens into something more. But things are further complicated by the Roman fever, the sickness sweeping the city and killing the poor. But people are disappearing from the streets, and Hazel and Jack must work together to solve the mystery. But uncovering these secrets may be the end of them both…


I really liked this book, despite its flaws! The pacing was breakneck, and I was immediately immersed in Hazel’s world, treacherous in more ways than one. I adored Hazel, a fierce believer in her dreams, even while society tells her it is not proper. I loved Jack as well, and his chemistry with Hazel was totally electric. I also really liked how Hazel fought against the odds and society to achieve her dreams and a life with which she is happy. I really liked Hazel, Jack, and the patients she worked with; most of the men in the book I did not care for. The pacing stuttered slightly in places, but I was fully invested in the mystery that Hazel and Jack raced to solve. And that ending! Honestly, the ending made up for all the book’s flaws. I love this story, as strange and unique and gory as it was. This was the first book I’ve ever read by Dana Schwartz, but I doubt it will be my last! The bottom line: A medical thriller with a romantic love story at its center, I loved Anatomy! One of my favorite books of 2022!


Comments

Popular Posts