The Weight of Blood by Tiffany D. Jackson Review

 Title: The Weight of Blood

Author: Tiffany D. Jackson


Age Group: Teen/Young Adult


Genre: Horror


Series: Standalone


Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars


I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

Trigger warnings: Physical abuse, mental abuse, emotional abuse, racism, microaggressions, language, blood, gore, death. If any of these topics trigger you, I would suggest not reading this book. Your mental health always matters!


I love reading horror as the weather gets colder; it is one of my favorite genres to snuggle up with under a blanket. I’ve never read any of Jackson’s books before this one, but I can promise that it will not be my last! In this modern, smartly told spin of Carrie by Stephen King, Maddy Washington has been hiding a shameful secret her entire life: She is biracial. When the rain comes along and reveals her secret, the white students at her high school begin to bully her. But when the quarterback asks her out to Springville’s very first mixed prom, she begins to wonder if a normal life, indeed, is within her reach. But one more family secret turns out to be deadly, and not everyone will leave the prom alive…


I really, really loved this book! The prose was scalpel-sharp, cutting me to the quick. I felt like I was holding my breath the entire novel; even when I knew it was coming, the big twist still took my breath away! At times, I had to put the book down and read something happy. The abuse was triggering at times. But still, I absolutely adored this book, even at its most gory. It put a spotlight on one of America’s oldest sins: racism. I loved Maddy, most of all; the only other character I really cared for in the book was Kendrick Scott, the quarterback who tried to make Maddy’s lonely life better. Honestly, by the time the big event happened, I didn’t really feel sorry for anyone. Even with all the death, blood, gore, and horror, I was rooting for Maddy the whole way. And that twist! I was in complete shock! (I don’t want to give it away for those who haven’t read it yet.) I will say the only thing that bothered me about The Weight of Blood was the ending; it was a little too ambiguous for my taste. Regardless, I absolutely adored this book; I’d really like a copy for my own collection! The bottom line: Deliciously dark and creepy, full of blood and gore, I absolutely adored The Weight of Blood! One of my favorites of 2022 for sure! Next on deck: King of Scars by Leigh Bardugo!


Comments

Popular Posts