King of Scars by Leigh Bardugo Review

 Title: King of Scars

Author: Leigh Bardugo


Age Group: Teen/Young Adult


Genre: Fantasy


Series: King of Scars, book one


Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars


I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.


TW: Gore, death, emotional, physical, and sexual abuse, war. If any of these topics trigger you, I would suggest not reading this book; your mental health always matters! 


I read the Shadow and Bone series in full this year, finally, and it is one of my very favorite fantasy series; so much so, that I bought the trilogy for my own personal library. I’d follow Leigh Bardugo anywhere. Ever since I’ve been hurting badly for some more stories from The Grishaverse. So, as soon as I was finished reading the trilogy, I ordered it from my local library. I’ve had to return it several times, but as soon as I was finished with The Weight of Blood, I picked this book up. And I don’t regret it one bit! 


This new series opener takes place three years after the Ravkan civil war, with Nikolai  Lantsov taking the throne at last. But the ramifications of the war are many, especially for him. He must keep a dangerous secret safe, known only to those close to him. His general, Zoya Nazalenksy, is tasked with keeping him safe. Nina Zenik, still deep in mourning after the events of Six of Crows, is in the icy country of Fjerda, spying for her king. When Nikolai and Zoya receive word of a possible cure for Nikolai’s dark problem, they set out for the Unsea, where The Fold used to be. But not everything is as it seems, with mysterious miracles popping up all over Ravka, and whispers about making The Darkling a Saint. Will Nikolai triumph at last over his demons? Or will the monster within this heart devour all he holds dear?


I absolutely adored this book; it filled the Grishaverse-shaped hole in my heart. Nikolai was one of my favorite characters in Shadow and Bone, so I was super excited that he finally got his own book! The pacing was breakneck, with the narrative going between Nikolai, cold, beautiful Zoya, grief-stricken Nina, and Issak, a guard loyal to the crown. I loved this book so much; I’d often wondered about Zoya’s origins, and King of Scars delivered in spades. I loved this deep dive into these beloved characters, but Zoya and Nikolai were my favorites! And that ending! I finished the book last week and I’m still reeling from it! I absolutely cannot wait for Rule of Wolves! The bottom line: Rich, detailed, and shocking, I loved King of Scars! One of my favorite books of the year! Next on deck: This Wicked Fate by Kalynn Bayron!

Comments

Popular Posts