Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter Review

Title: Alice in Zombieland
Author: Gena Showalter
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Horror
Series: The White Rabbit Chronicles, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: Scary, sexy, and absolutely hilarious, Alice in Zombieland was totally worth the six month wait from my local library--though not quite a retelling, it was a great horror novel! I'd recommend it to anyone who is a fan of The Walking Dead or any zombie novel.

Alice Bell is in a whole mess of trouble: the daughter of a troubled father who claims to see zombies--hideous monsters who crave human flesh. All she's ever wanted is to go out with friends, and maybe, just maybe, kiss a boy. Over the course of one night, Ali's life has changed: Her parents and little sister are dead, she has to move, and as if all of this isn't bad enough? She might just be seeing zombies too, and there's the fact that the hottest boy in school, Cole Holland, is hot and cold with her. But Ali has bigger problems: If she doesn't figure out what's going on, she might not make it out alive..

What I enjoyed:
-Alice's voice, fresh, original, and hilarious, and her evolution throughout the novel
-Alice's family, especially Emma
-The flowing prose--I gobbled up this book in less than two days!
-The action that had me turning pages frantically
-The sexy, steamy relationship between Alice and Cole
-The cool new twist on traditional zombie lore
-Cole and his ragtag team of misfits, who eventually become Alice's friends
-Nana and Pops
-Kat
-The horror of the novel that had me practically biting my nails
-The cliffhanger ending

What I didn't enjoy:
-At times I felt like Alice's whining was going to get under my skin
-I kept wishing that Alice and Cole would just kiss already, darn it

I really, really, really liked Alice in Zombieland! Easily one of my favorites of the last year. Next on deck: Unafraid by Michael Griffo!

Comments

Popular Posts