Croak by Gina Damico Review

Title: Croak
Author: Gina Damico
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Mystery/Fantasy
Series: Croak, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: Hilarious, dark, and original, I loved Croak--I gobbled up this amazing whodunit in  less than two days--I can't wait for Scorch!

Lex Bartleby is a normal sixteen year old--that is, if normal means biting classmates' arms and picking a fight whenever someone's back is turned. Fed up with her behavior and desperate, Lex's parents send her to live with her Uncle Mort for the summer. Lex thinks her life is over--until she finds out that Uncle Mort is a Grim Reaper and wants to teach her the family business. She takes to it like a duck to water, and soon finds herself wrapped up in a mystery that could put the whole town of Croak--as well as reaperdom itself--at risk.

What I enjoyed:
-The hilarious narration that drew me in from the start
-Lex as a protagonist--she became a well-rounded, relatable character by the end of the novel
-The original world of Croak and the mythology of the novel
-Driggs and his friends, as well as his developing friendship with Lex
-The Bartleby family--especially Cordy
-The convincing, well-thought out mystery that kept me frantically turning pages
-Uncle Mort--he was one of my favorite characters of the novel
-The ending--Scorch can't come fast enough!

What I didn't enjoy:
-Zara
-At times the mythology left me a tad confused, since it was a bit fuzzy
-Norwood and Heloise

I really, really enjoyed Croak! Anyone looking for a good mystery or a book about reapers should pick it up. Next on deck: Forbidden by Syrie James and Ryan M. James!

Comments

Popular Posts