Vixen by Jillian Larkin Review

Title: Vixen
Author: Jillian Larkin
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Historical Fiction
Series: The Flappers, book one
Star Rating: 3 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: I really feel as though this was a copy of The Luxe series by Anna Godbersen--same characters, different names, different setting--though the book was good enough to keep me interested--I look forward to reading Ingenue.

Three young women--Gloria, Lorraine, and Clara--are closely linked teenagers growing up in the turbulent Jazz Age: sheltered Gloria, who wants nothing more than to be free of her restricted life; Lorraine, the spoiled little rich girl everyone loves to hate; and Clara, the flapper from New York who flees to Chicago for a fresh start. But each girl has her own woes--and each girl must face her demons, whether she wants to or not..

What I enjoyed:
-The sweeping narrative of the novel
-The authenticity of the age of the novel--I really felt as though I was in the 1920s
-Gloria
-Lorraine
-Clara
-Jerome
-Vera
-The different points of view in the novel
-Bastian
-The cliffhanger ending

What I didn't enjoy:
-Carlito and his boys
-At times I thought the language didn't fit the time period
-It felt like it was just a carbon copy of The Luxe by Anna Godbersen, just a different time, place, and characters--It really distracted me and I honestly hope Ingenue is better

 I liked Vixen, though I think it could've been better--let's see in Ingenue. Next on deck: Croak by Gina Damico!

Comments

Popular Posts