The Gathering Storm by Robin Bridges Review

Title: The Gathering Storm
Author: Robin Bridges
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy/Horror
Series: The Katerina Trilogy, Volume I
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: Romantic, magical, and dark, I really enjoyed The Gathering Storm and am looking forward to its sequel, but some of the plotline was really confusing and hard to follow.

Katerina is an ordinary girl living in imperial Russia--but she has a dark and terrifying secret: She can raise the dead. Trying desperately to hide her dark powers, she is unsuccessful, and soon becomes a pawn in a magical political game, all the while trying to figure out what her heart is telling her about the two men she is torn between: dark, seductive Danilo and rude, quiet Georgi.

What I enjoyed:
-Katerina's voice and her growth as the protagonist throughout the novel--it was really a joy to read
-The magical, dark world of imperial Russia--I couldn't put this book down!
-Danilo
-George
-The love triangle, of course!
-The pacing of the novel--it flew in less than a day!
-The cast of characters, all unique and all important to the narrative
-The political web that Bridges creates, difficult to navigate and near impossible to get out of

What I didn't enjoy:
-At times the lore was hard to follow
-I couldn't keep many of the classes of vampires straight
-I didn't understand how vampires and fey related to one another in the same world, but perhaps more will be explained

I liked The Gathering Storm--it was a great fantasy that I loved living in! Next on deck: Sweet Venom by Tera Lynn Childs!

Comments

Popular Posts