Unwelcome by Michael Griffo Review

Title: Unwelcome
Author: Michael Griffo
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Gay Fiction/Fantasy/Horror
Series: Archangel Academy, book two
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: Sequel to Unnatural, Unwelcome provides a great installment in a series I really, really enjoyed--unfortunately, some of the religious allusions in the novel were a little offensive.

Michael is back, and is dealing with his new life as a vampire, with Ronan at his side. As if this wasn't difficult enough? A new headmaster has come to Double A, and with him darkness surrounds our pair of lovers, as well as betrayal, rage, and secrets. Will our boys ever get a break? It isn't looking too good..

What I enjoyed:
-The character development of Michael throughout the novel
-Michael and Ronan's relationship, and how it expanded--definitely a favorite couple of mine
-Ronan's family, especially his sister and brother
-The constant secrets and suspense that kept me on edge
-The further expansion of the vampire lore Griffo has created (Love the riff on Atlantis!)
-David and Brania
-Jean-Paul
-Phaedra
-The cliffhanger ending

What I didn't enjoy:
-A lot of the religion that tied into the lore was actually really offensive, I really didn't enjoy that. I hope it doesn't get worse. (i.e., putting someone on a cross to make a point)

I really liked Unwelcome, aside from some hiccups, and I'm looking forward to finishing the series with Unafraid. Next on deck: Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter!

Comments

Popular Posts