After Daybreak by J.A. London Review

Title: After Daybreak
Author: J.A. London
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Dystopian Fiction/Horror
Series: Darkness Before Dawn, book three
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: Romantic, dark, and thrilling, I enjoyed the last book in this vampire series--but I really think the ending could've been much better!

Dawn Montgomery has just found out a secret that has shattered everything she's ever known. Reluctantly armed with this knowledge, she and her friends--Victor, Michael, Tegan, Richard, Ian, and Faith--prepare for the ultimate battle against a vampire who has gone mad in his thirst for revenge. Along the way, she and Victor must navigate their complex relationship, and quickly, because tomorrow is coming close, and our star-crossed lovers might not live to see it.

What I enjoyed:
-The pacing of the novel--it sucked me right in and the book flew in a day and a half
-Dawn's narration, and her acceptance of herself throughout the novel, though it took a while to get there
-The dark, frightening, but still hopeful world that London paints in the book
-The dark, thrilling writing style that I really enjoyed
-Victor, and his complex, romantic, heartwarming relationship with Dawn
-Michael
-Tegan
-Richard and Faith
-Ian
-Sin
-Eris
-The explanation of vampire lore
-I liked how everything was explained, no question left unanswered for me

What I didn't enjoy:
-The only thing I didn't like about the book was the ending--I really felt it was anticlimactic and left a lot to be desired

I really liked After Daybreak--it was well worth the wait! Anyone who loves strong heroines, dystopian novels, or strong heroines should pick up the Darkness Before Dawn Trilogy! Next on deck: Chantress by Amy Butler Greenfield!

Comments

Popular Posts