The Madman's Daughter by Megan Sheperd Review

Title: The Madman's Daughter
Author: Megan Sheperd
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Historical Fiction/Horror
Series: The Madman's Daughter, book one
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: Dark, riveting, romantic, and terrifying, The Madman's Daughter swept me away completely--I can't wait for the sequel! One of my very favorites of 2013!

Juliet Moreau is a sixteen year old orphan girl in London, trying to make her way through her lonely days. Her mother is dead, her father is presumed dead too. After losing her job, a man from Juliet's past resurfaces, and she jumps at the chance to escape stifling Victorian London. He reluctantly consents, and she is swept away to a remote island, where her father is actually alive. But once there, Juliet discovers she is locked in a dangerous love triangle, and finds that she must unlock the secrets of her heritage.. Or she might not make it off the island alive..

What I enjoyed:
-I loved the narration--it drew me in right away and kept packing punches and twists every few pages
-The pacing--it was breakneck and I couldn't put it down (I found myself actually throwing a fit when I had to leave it be in the space when I was reading it..)
-The creepy, beautiful writing that fit the mood of the novel perfectly
-Juliet, and her flawed, but relatable character
-The love triangle (Eeeee!)
-The deep questions the book brought to light in the story
-Montgomery
-Edward
-The lush tropical island
-The islanders
-The way the novel genre-jumped so easily
-The mystery that wasn't solved until the very end
-The cliffhanger ending

What I didn't enjoy:
-Juliet's father
-At times the book was a little graphic for my taste

I loved The Madman's Daughter--I can't wait for more! Next on deck: Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay!

Comments

Popular Posts