Stay by Deb Caletti Review

Title: Stay
Author: Deb Caletti
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Series: N/A
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: Tender, moving, romantic and frightening, Stay reminds me why I love contemporary fiction--it grabbed me up and held me captive until the last page, with many tears marking my progress! Bravo!

Clara Oates is a regular girl, who has recently moved. Trying to escape the past, and memories of a too-intense relationship with a boy named Christian, she discovers that it is indeed possible to move on, to love again, and to rediscover yourself after being lost, even though it isn't easy. But she realizes that no matter how far she runs, the past isn't so easy to forget..

What I enjoyed:
-The writing style, signature to Caletti and what made me a fan--tender, beautiful, yet gritty at the same time
-The narration, with Clara at the center, trying to move on but bogged down by memories of her past, as we all too often are as human beings
-The refreshing, quirky cast of characters, all flawed and beautiful and still very real, especially Finn, Clara, Sylvie, and Clara's father
-The pacing--the book flew and had me utterly breathless, and it actually broke my heart quite a few times
-The reminder that contemporary fiction can be just as riveting as other types of fiction
-Christian, and the intense, riveting, unhealthy relationship Clara has with him that Caletti paints with such finesse
-The ending

There was nothing I didn't enjoy about this beautiful, intense, romantic novel--it was amazing! Any fan of Caletti's--or contemporary fiction--should snatch this gem up! Next on deck: Spellcaster by Claudia Gray!

Comments

Popular Posts