Ashes on the Waves by Mary Lindsey Review

Title: Ashes on the Waves
Author: Mary Lindsey
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy/Romance/Horror
Series: N/A
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: A beautiful, dark love story expanding on Edgar Allen Poe's poem Annabel Lee, Ashes on the Waves drew me in completely--a favorite of 2013! I only wish there was more!

Liam MacGregor lives on the island of Dochas, a place steeped in myth, darkness, and tradition. Seen as a demon due to a deformity at birth, he's accepted his fate: to live and die ostracized on the island. But it all changes when Annabel Leighton, Liam's childhood playmate, comes back--and the two fall passionately in love. But dark forces are stirring, betting on whether the lovers will stay together.. Even if the price is death itself.

What I enjoyed:
-The beautiful, grim island of Dochas, which Lindsey paints skillfully, a dark, cruel place hiding still more secrets
-The mythology of the novel--I loved the way the author used Irish mythology so artfully--it was really different and I enjoyed it a lot
-Liam, a strange boy completely out of his element even on the island, but even more so when Anna comes into his life, and his evolution throughout the novel
-Anna, the sweet, loving, headstrong young woman that Liam falls so helplessly in love with
-The pacing of the novel--it moved along very smoothly and quickly and kept me glued to the book
-The tests that the lovers had to face throughout the novel
-Francine
-Brigid Ronan
-The ending--I cried my eyes out!
-Muireann and most of the selkies in the book

What I didn't enjoy:
-There was nothing I didn't love about this novel--it was an absolute triumph! I loved it!

I loved Ashes on the Waves--one of my favorites of 2013! I'd recommend it to anyone who loves dark paranormals, or anyone who loves a heartmelting love story. Next on deck: The Beautiful and the Cursed by Page Morgan!

Comments

Popular Posts