The Nightmare Affair by Mindee Arnett Review (Possible Spoilers!)

Title: The Nightmare Affair
Author: Mindee Arnett
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy/Mystery
Series: Arkwell Academy, book one
Star Rating: 3 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: A hilarious, laugh out loud mystery, I enjoyed The Nightmare Affair, which was lighter than what I usually go for--but it was a great mystery that kept me on my toes.

Ever dream about being able to see people's dreams? Walk through them? If you have, you'll enjoy Dusty Everhart. She's a Nightmare--literally--needing to feed off of dreams in order to practice magic. As if this wasn't enough for a teenager girl, Dusty discovers that people are being murdered, with a macabre pattern--a hand is missing from each of the bodies. Determined to find the killer, she starts to investigate--and she realizes that there's always a suspect.. And you never quite know who it is until it's too late..

What I enjoyed:
-Dusty--she's what kept me hanging on in this book--hilarious, awkward, clumsy, and headstrong--I really enjoyed her as a narrator
-The complex system of magic that the author employs--magic not in plain sight, in different classes in an urban setting
-The mystery--I didn't see the ending coming--and this book really thrived as a mystery--I couldn't guess what was happening with all the twists and turns!
-Eli
-Selene
-Paul
-Moira
-The ending, openended and the sequel coming was obvious--I'm looking forward to seeing more of Dusty

What I didn't enjoy:
-At times Dusty's whining got on my nerves
-It was almost too light and cute for my tastes--I expected it to be darker
-I wish we'd gotten to see more of the social system of the classes of magickind
-I wish there was more to it

I liked The Nightmare Affair, but as a paranormal series, this just fell short for me for some reason--I'm a little disappointed, truthfully. Next on deck: Emma by Jane Austen!

Comments

Popular Posts