Unbreakable by Kami Garcia Review

Title: Unbreakable
Author: Kami Garcia
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Horror
Series: The Legion, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: A frightening, taut horror novel that had my heart racing and my fingers anxiously turning pages, Unbreakable was wonderful, though the main character kind of bogged the novel down for me a little bit.

Kennedy Waters isn't the type to believe in the supernatural. She and her mom are happy and just fine with one another. But that all changes when Kennedy comes from from an outing to find the house dark--with her dead mother inside. Setting off a chain reaction, she meets a ragtag gang of misfits, all demon hunters--and she must discover how she belongs, before it's too late..

What I enjoyed:
-The pacing of the novel--it was amazing and I couldn't stop reading--there were thrills at every turn!
-Kennedy's wry narrative, most of the time, though her insecurities and her sadness made me want to scream at other parts
-Jared and Lukas
-Alara
-Priest
-The taut love triangle between Jared, Lukas, and Kennedy, fraught with tension throughout the whole book
-The mythology of the novel--a lot of the book itself reminded me of Supernatural
-The race against time throughout the novel--the ghosts the kids encounter especially shine

What I didn't enjoy:
-The ending!
-Kennedy got on my nerves often--I wish she were less whiny. She just wasn't too strong of a character for me, but that changed in the end

I loved Unbreakable! Fans of ghost stories and demon hunters should pick it up at the local bookstore or library. Next on deck: Some Quiet Place, by Kelsey Sutton!

Comments

Popular Posts