Done Dirt Cheap by Sarah Nicole Lemon Review

Title: Done Dirt Cheap
Author: Sarah Nicole Lemon
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Series: Standalone
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book through my local library and reviewed it.

This book. This book! I have been waiting my entire life to read a young adult book like this one. I loved it. Easily one of my favorite books of 2017, if not the one. Done Dirt Cheap stole my heart, bewitching me with beautiful prose, gorgeous setting, and amazing characters that walked straight off of the page and into my heart. God. This book was a modern fairy tale that was a delightful, dark mix of Sons of Anarchy and Stand By Me. I really hope that SNL has another project in the works, because now, there is nothing that she writes that I won't read. Where has this book been all my life? What a heartfelt, beautifully written debut! I love strong female characters, and this book has a wealth of them, as well as adorable boys for them (and the reader) to swoon over. It was so much fun!

Tourmaline Harris is a girl who understands her place in her world, even if it happens to be ruled by her father and feels more like a role to play than anything else. But she is tired and in a rough spot, missing her mother and wishing that things were different. She meets Virginia Campbell, the tough and guarded daughter of a woman who cares more about herself than anyone else. Joining forces in a reluctant alliance, the girls discover that the world may be bigger than they realize, and that their enemies just might be the person that they need the most.

This book was amazing. The prose was beautiful, hypnotic, and I was spellbound by the end of the first chapter. I loved the premise of it as well, a plot that places two strong, flawed heroines at the forefront. (Yay strong female main characters!) It was quite near perfect. What an electrifying, sexy debut that had me laughing, crying, and tingling with emotion! All of my senses were enchanted, and two of the best parts of this story were Virginia and Tourmaline's friendship, as well as their sizzling, knee-weakening love stories. I loved the ending--it was so true to life! There was nothing that I didn't love about this book, even its villains and supporting characters. I'm so excited for whatever Sarah Nicole Lemon has in store! The bottom line: A modern, rough-riding fairy tale, Done Dirt Cheap is one of the best books of the year! Next on deck: City of Saints and Thieves by Natalie C. Anderson!

Comments

Popular Posts