Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab Review

Title: Our Dark Duet
Author: Victoria Schwab
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy/Horror
Series: Monsters of Verity, book two
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book through my local library and reviewed it.

God! My literary pain is insurmountable. Between Cassandra Clare, Sarah Dessen, and this half of a heartbreaking, action-packed duology, that tore my heart out and made me cry until my chest hurt. These last three books really got under my skin, but especially this one. This is going to be a book hangover that I just might not ever recover from. I mean... Just, really?! I can't even deal with this. I've been reeling for a day and a half, and I'm still not sure how to put my feelings into words. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME, VICTORIA?! HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO MOVE ON AFTER THAT?! GAH!

This Savage Song, the first book in this duo, was one of, if not the, best book of 2016, at least for me. Schwab completely captured my imagination, in all of its blood, gore, and horror. In the broken world of August Flynn and Kate Harker, sin is more tangible, insofar that bad acts literally create monsters. The Sunai, musical monsters that can steal your soul with a song, The Corsai, ghostlike wraiths that rend, rip, and break, and the Malachi, fanged and red-eyed all result in the dark hole of the city of Verity.

But this time, picking up where This Savage Song left off, a new monster has an eye set on Verity, a being that is even more terrifying than the usual ranks of dark creatures that populate the city. Kate and August must come together again to save their city as well as each other, if the growing body count does not overwhelm them and their loved ones. Kate must dig deep inside herself and find the strength to save her city. August must find the delicate balance between the dark urges inside and the humanity that he longs to imitate. That if, if both of them can make it off of the expanding battlefield unscathed...

This book killed my soul. It made me feel everything, the entire gamut of emotions. Sequels give me such horrible anxiety, because they hold so much promise and anticipating for me. But I needn't have worried. This book was perfect. All of the loose ends were neatly tied up, the pacing was breakneck, so by the time that my heart and mind caught up to the pages, I was so invested that there was no way of me putting it down, even when I wanted to. I loved the twists, the way Schwab cranked up the tension until I was ready to scream or cry, and the way old and new characters were brought in. Plus: the villain(s). I love it when an author can make awesome bad guys! The ending. God, that ending. It killed me! All the ugly crying, guys! I'm still trying to process it, even while I type this. Easy, hands down, one of the best books of the summer, if not the year! The bottom line: The second half of a smash hit duology, Our Dark Duet tore my soul to pieces and sewed it back together again--what a book! I'm still heavy from the hangover. Next on deck: Spindle Fire by Lexa Hillyer!

Comments

Popular Posts