Ptolemy's Gate by Jonathan Stroud Review

Title: Ptolemy's Gate
Author: Jonathan Stroud
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: The Bartimaeus Sequence, book three
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book through my local library and reviewed it.

My husband and I have a little routine when it comes to books. Either I read to him aloud so we can experience the story together, or he reads it first, and I read it after him, so we can talk about it. This was the Bartimaeus Sequence for us most recently, thanks to the lovely people of the Reddit-sphere. It took me a little while to get to it, but when I did, I was drawn in immediately, and when I had to put it down, there were times when I was irrationally angry. But Stroud closes this hilarious, heartfelt trilogy with surprising tenderness and skill. Honestly, I really feel like I've lost a new set of friends, finishing this series. That ending though! Just stomp on my heart, why don't you?! (Authors and endings are going to be the death of me, I swear...)

Ptolemy's Gate picks up where The Golem's Eye left off, and I don't want to give any details away, for my readers that haven't read it yet. But what I will say is that this trilogy closes with beautiful, dazzling prose that had me laughing and crying, sometimes at the same time. Action and adventure abound as Nathaniel and Bartimaeus embark on their final quest. Kitty also shows up, trying desperately to save her country from brewing unrest and rebellion. All three of their heroes' fates collide, and none of them will make it unscathed...

I loved this book. Every crazy, hilarious moment of it. Sequels usually make me anxious, but this one delivered in every way. Breakneck pacing, twists and turns, tying up loose ends, lovable characters, old and new, all the tension that I could handle, and some that I couldn't bear, and that ending! Gah, I couldn't take it! I also loved the way the author shifted from one point of view to another, giving a fully rounded perspective on the events happening in the book. This series closer took my heart and guts and stomped all over them, and I have to say that it was worth it. I loved the way the trilogy ended, though it broke my heart and made me cry. Bartimaeus's wry, humorous commentary had me laughing and screaming in frustration. (I don't want it to end, so I ordered the prequel from my library. All the Egyptian shenanigans!) And Kitty! I loved the way she got a leading role in this book, instead of a supporting character. And Nathaniel! I loved the character development! What a book! The bottom line: The final book in the Bartimaeus Sequence, I loved Ptolemy's Gate! What a series closer! I can't wait for The Ring of Solomon! Next on deck: The Definition of Indefinable Things by Whitney Taylor!

Comments

Popular Posts