Across the Universe by Beth Revis Review

Title: Across the Universe
Author: Beth Revis
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Science Fiction
Series: Across the Universe, book one
Star Rating: 3 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: Terrifying, tender, and claustrophobic, I have mixed feelings about this book--but I feel like the good points outweighed the bad.

Amy Martin is a member of a select group of people--a group of people who board the Godspeed, the spaceship that is on its way to the new Earth, to new natural resources and a new beginning. Amy and her parents have been asleep--literally, frozen--for fifty years. That is, until Amy is unplugged and nearly dies in the process. She meets Elder, the heir to the ship's leader, Eldest, terrifying and forbidding--and finds that other people are being unplugged--and secrets and lies are commonplace on the Godspeed. In the middle of a budding romance, both of them discover the meaning of being human, and of life itself.

What I enjoyed:
-the tense pacing
-the alternating point of views of Elder and Amy, two different voices narrating the same events
-The successful genre-hopping that so few authors can pull off, especially nowadays: science fiction, dystopian fiction, and romance
-Elder and his constant curiosity, despite the 'need' to stay silent
-Amy and her fresh voice--she seemed so real to me and I could relate to her
-The scary descriptions of the cyro-boxes
-The many twists, turns, and secrets, a lot of them catching me off guard
-Harley
-The budding romance between Elder and Amy

What I didn't enjoy:
-Eldest
-Doc
-The Season
-Orion
-Luthe
-A lot of the writing was graphic, violent, and at times a little sickening

I still have mixed feelings about Across the Universe, but I'm very glad that I gave it another chance--it wasn't bad. Next on deck: Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead!

Comments

Popular Posts