The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray Review

Title: The Sweet Far Thing
Author: Libba Bray
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: The Gemma Doyle trilogy, book three
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: The third and final book in the Gemma Doyle trilogy, The Sweet Far Thing lives up to everything a last book in a series should be: with thrills, secrets, darkness, and length--I couldn't put it down!

It has been a year since Gemma has been to the Realms, and coming into her final year at Spence, she realizes that she must learn to control her power for good--or be corrupted by it--all the while losing friends and family, leading to a final climax that I didn't see coming at all--with an ending as enigmatic and beautiful as something I come to expect from Gemma and Libba Bray--I really enjoyed it!

What I enjoyed:
-Gemma, and her growth into her power
-Fee, and her passionate, unrelenting quest for freedom and to be herself
-Pippa, the friend who fell so tragically in the Realms in Rebel Angels--and shows up again until almost the end
-Kartik
-The constant secrets and surprises--especially the climax at the end and the ending, as mysterious as Gemma herself
-The enchanting world that was the Realms--the Winterlands especially
-The creepy-crawlies that come throughout the book

What I didn't enjoy:
-Gemma's family
-Miss Moore
-Some of the clans/characters in the Realms (Philon/Neela/other centaurs)
-At times I was very frustrated with Ann, though I was glad at what happened in the end
-The Gypsy/English feud
-The Rakshana
-Fowlson
-Miss McCleethy

I loved The Sweet Far Thing and the Gemma Doyle Trilogy as a whole--it was wonderful and it will always have a special place in my heart. Next on deck: Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead!

Comments

Popular Posts