Boy Robot by Simon Curtis Review

Title: Boy Robot
Author: Simon Curtis
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Science Fiction
Series: Boy Robot, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

I was reading an article on the top favorite teen books for the month of October, and found Boy Robot that way. It's been sitting in my library stack ever since, patiently waiting its turn to be read. First of all, I loved the cover--it was so eye-catching and seemed to scream science fiction. I love science fiction, it's one of my favorite genres, but sometimes, it can get a little confusing. Regardless, Boy Robot was an excellent, and pretty darn near perfect, debut novel. I'm so happy that this book is in the works for a sequel! I can't wait for more from the plucky, kindhearted Simon Curtis!

Issak is a normal boy--or so he thinks. But when his eighteenth birthday comes around, his entire life is ripped apart at the seams, all because of a power inside of him he didn't even know existed. Forced to leave his hometown and embark on a dangerous journey with a bunch of strangers, he discovers that no one can really be trusted, and the power that lies raging inside of him could change the fate of the entire planet as we know it...

This book, at first, was really difficult for me to get through; at one point, I was seriously considering shelving it for good. It was just really slow, and the format took some getting used to, especially with the chapters being as long as they were. But when I talked to my husband about it, he told me to stick with it. "It might pick up soon. Just give it another try and see what you think." Encouraged by his input, I did as he asked. It took a while to pick up, probably close to half of the novel, but I'm glad that I stuck with it. This book picks up and takes off, and grabs you by the throat and doesn't let go until the final page. Even then, you're reeling, and soon you're itching to read the sequel.

This book was lovely and refreshing; Issak was a great, deep main character, and I felt really sympathetic toward him, especially as the book went on. This book was like taking some of the best sci-fi premises and mashing them all into a book, specifically for the teen audience, often sprinkled with deep questions about ethics and the state of humanity itself. It was a really fun, high-octane thrill ride, especially when it picked up. But there were also times when the science fiction jargon was a little bit confusing, and as a result, I got more than a little lost as the book went on. The bottom line: Though it took me a while to get into, Boy Robot is a debut science fiction thriller worth waiting for--I can't wait for more from Simon Curtis! What a debut! Next on deck: Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption by Bryan Stevenson!

Comments

Popular Posts