Scythe by Neal Shusterman Review

Title: Scythe
Author: Neal Shusterman
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Utopian Fiction
Series: Arc of a Scythe, book one
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book through my local library and reviewed it.

Neal Shusterman won my heart with his runaway hit last year, Challenger Deep, which was illustrated by his son. Brendan. I've had one of his books on my Kindle for a while now, but when I read about Scythe, I just knew I had to read it. I ordered it from my library and it's been my steadfast companion through the last days of December, into the new year. And what a journey it was! This book was spectacular, pretty close to perfect but not quite hitting the mark. The worldbuilding! The characters! The pacing! The ending. Holy crap, I'm so ecstatic about this book, and I hope that there's a sequel!

In Citra and Rowan's world, death has been all but conquered, and I mean that quite literally. There is no disease, no crime, and it is quite possibly the closest thing to world peace that humanity has achieved. It is a perfect world. But in this perfect utopia, Scythes--killers, powered by the government and the nearest thing to royalty--must 'glean', or kill, as compassionately as possible. Despite Citra and Rowan not wanting the job, they are nonetheless chosen and pitted against each other in a deadly, politically intriguing game, where death lurks for the loser and Scythedom to the victor.

What can I say? This book, though it wasn't completely perfect, was pretty darn close. It was so good! The worldbuilding was phenomenal, the characters well-drawn and sympathetic, and the pacing was absolutely breakneck--I couldn't put it down, even though there were times when I really wanted to. The premise was so original and interesting, I really loved it. I'm so excited for the sequel! And that ending though--it was amazing! Gimme that sequel right now, Neal! Please! The bottom line: A fantastic series debut for the autumn of 2016, Scythe is one of my favorites--I can't wait for the sequel! Next on deck: Heartless by Marissa Meyer!

Comments

Popular Posts