The Amateurs by Sara Shepard Review

Title: The Amateurs
Author: Sara Shepard
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Series: The Amateurs, book one
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

Sara Shepard is one of my favorite authors. I was hooked on her first series, Pretty Little Liars, though I've yet to finish it. I chose this at random from my library stack, not sure what to expect. I shouldn't have worried, though; this book just blew my mind. It brought to mind classic mysteries, like Agatha Christie, and Nancy Drew. I loved the vibe--this was a whodunit mystery done with finesse and ease. It was so impressive! I'm leery, naturally, of mysteries: sometimes, they really hit the spot, and others, I could see coming from a mile away. The Amateurs takes the classic whodunit mystery and amps up the thrills and chills until you're frantically turning pages, sure you know who it is, until the shocking ending--Please, hurry with that sequel! Dying! This book is one not to be missed! It was just so good.

A group of teens meet over a true crime forum online. Aerin is still searching for answers about her sister's mysterious, sudden disapperance. Seneca is searching for answers of her own, and as the kids start digging deeper, they discover that someone will do anything--even kill--to keep the community's skeletons hidden. The pacing is breakneck--slowly, you are drawn in, until you're glued to the story, certain you know who did it, until the shocking, terrifying ending!

I can't wait for the sequel to this book! The bottom line: Sara Shepard has proved once again that she is the queen of twisty, rich mysteries! Next on deck: Scythe by Neal Shusterman!

Comments

Popular Posts