Hungry Heart by Jennifer Weiner Review

Title: Hungry Heart: Adventures in Life, Love, and Writing
Author: Jennifer Weiner
Age Group: Adult
Genre: Nonfiction, memoir
Series: N/A
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book through my local library and reviewed it.

Jennifer Weiner has been one of my favorite authors for a very long time. My grandmother, when I was a senior in high school, began to insist that I read 'adult' fiction and start branching out. I was a little reluctant, because I wasn't sure what to expect. But I picked up Little Earthquakes, and loved it, and that was shortly followed by In Her Shoes. I instantly fell in love with her prose, and even though I haven't read anything more recent, I'd heard about Hungry Heart and been looking forward to it. It's been sitting in my library stack, and I'm so happy that I read it. I laughed, I cried, I raged. I really related to her, especially from a career standpoint. I felt inspired by her; I still do.

Weiner, in this collection of insightful and hilarious essays that chronicle her life as well as a generous offering of topics, wrought with signature humor and wit. Frankly, I'm inspired and really impressed. She writes with such honesty, such skill, and I found myself entirely moved. If I wasn't weeping, I was laughing. I really feel like I got to know her, and those that she dearly loved. A stalwart feminist, activist, writer, and mother, she speaks of a childhood being distinctly different, and the insecurities that she fought valiantly as she grew toward a tempestous adulthood. Rife with emotion, humor, and plenty of advice on writing, this book felt like a new, suddenly dear friend, and I was really sorry when it ended!

I'm so happy with this book. It inspired me, made me laugh more times than I could count, comforted me, and made me cry more than once! In Hungry Heart, Jennifer Weiner does nothing less than bare her soul in this touching, beautiful book. I'm so glad that I read it! The bottom line: A memoir from one of my favorite authors, Hungry Heart is an inspiring, honest, and hilarious book! One of the best of 2016! Next on deck: Unrivaled by Alyson Noel!

Comments

Popular Posts