Drink Slay Love by Sarah Beth Durst Review

Title: Drink Slay Love
Author: Sarah Beth Durst
Age Group: Teen/Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Series: N/A
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
The bottom line: Hilarious, sweet, and satiric, Drink Slay Love is a vampire novel with an unlikely anti-heroine that I fell in love with, despite some flaws.

Pearl Sange is a sixteen-year old vampire--she drinks blood, is evil, and can't go out in the sun. That is, until a unicorn stabs her through the heart, and suddenly, she can walk in sunlight. Her family comes up with an idea--get Pearl to enroll in high school, and befriend their food, all in time for the annual Fealty ceremony--only, unfortunately, after getting nearly killed by the unicorn--she starts to develop a conscience, and must cope with her monstrous nature and her new urge to be good--all leading up to a bittersweet ending.

What I enjoyed:
-Pearl, and her carelessness, and the way she was the perfect anti-heroine of the novel--growing into her conscience, despite her murderous, bloodthirsty nature
-Pearl's family
-The way Durst kept to traditional vampire lore, which is not a common thing these days
-Evan, and his family
-Bethany
 -Jadrien
-The traditional vampire hierarchy
-Pearl's ability to walk out into the sun
-The ending
-The constant humor

What I didn't enjoy:
-Some of Pearl's family
-Evan's 'experiment'
-The Vampire King and his cronies
-At times Pearl had me rolling my eyes
-Jadrien did, also, actually
-Most of Pearl's classmates

I thought this was a pretty good attempt for a vampire novel, considering it was Durst's first--I was constantly laughing and I really enjoyed it. Recommended for those of you looking for the opposite of Twilight. Next on deck: Jealousy by Lili St. Crow! (Note: These are subject to change, as I order a lot of them from the library and I like to read books in a series close together, so we'll see!)

Comments

Popular Posts